CANTO II - Baron Varfeil receives the summons to the war, but over-late, and hurries to muster his forces.
Weary Varfeil came unto his hall,
His heavy hands were red with foemen's blood.
He hangs his battered helm upon the wall
And casts aside his surcoat stained with mud.
His mail two servants bear away to scrub
While wearily he calls for meat and wine
And then upon a velvet couch reclines.
His wife, Reiana, brings a pitcher forth,
A vessel decked with many cunning signs
Which show in sylvan scene five men on horse
In hot pursuit of some embattled swine.
The boar, the fox, the lean and panting hind
The pitcher's painted base are circling round
As men with shining spears the vessel crown.
She pours the wine into an iv'ry bowl
Which Ranhor, mighty builder, king of men,
Gave unto the father of Veifal
When Veifal's father slew the giant-kin,
And in that bowl the win and water blends
And gives with shining hands unto her lord,
And as he drinks, she offers up these words:
"What cheer, my lord, what issue of the fight?
For weariness, I see, has crowned your brow,
But in your eyes there glints a lordly light,
Nor do I think our fortunes are brought down."
This she says, and kissing with a bow
His grimy face and heavy bloodstained hands
Her maids to bring a washing-bowl commands.
"Good cheer, good wife, and weary though I be,
'Tis only with an overflow of joy
To render willing service to my king
And see his hated enemies destroyed.
The Kodihan no longer may enjoy
The Wood the Stone-kings gave to Orusen
Where Fanhal rules o'er the Sons of Men.
"Thrice we found them riding, seeking spoils
And spoiled thrice their hopes with iron bills.
Many giants wood and river soiled
With crimson as they fled into the hills.
Their captain I myself did fight and kill--
A lovely giant with a silver disk
Which I have brought Reiana for a gift."
Then commands the lord his squires come
And bear between them, straining at the weight,
A mighty disk of silver, worked with tongues
Of golden fire, and hung upon a chain.
"My lord, there is no woman's neck so great
Among the Children of the Stars and Sea
To wear the gift your squires bear to me."
Then Varfeil laughed and seized it in his hands
And set it easily above the door,
And said, "Let men in after ages stand
And see it cast its light across the floor.
So shall our deeds of conquest evermore
Endure, while Sencan's heirs by Heaven's grace
Beneath the stars that birthed them keep their place."
Then fair Reiana, lifting up her hands
Unto her husband bids her lord recline
While to the board her maids, at her command,
Bring tongue, and joint, and bowls of mingled wine.
"The holy heirs of Sencan's ancient line
Do well to lean on Varfeil's mighty arm,
Who ever keeps the oaths that he has sworn.
"Now sit, my lord, and I will speak of news
Which seven days ago a horseman bore:
'Twas writ in letters fine on parchment new,
And told of Fanhal's summons to the war.
Greatly craved the king your strength of arm
To lend its wight unto the enterprise--
But the herald I returned without reply."
"No reply!" Now Varfeil swiftly stands
And calls for mail and boots and helm and sword.
"And should he think that I, with idle hands,
Hunt the ruddy stag or bristling boar
And do not heed his summons to the war?
But in the selfsame hour the summons came
I was waging war in Fanhal's name."
"Do not fear, I sent such answer back
As might the lordly Fanhal's heart assuage:
That Varfeil rode in chase upon the march
And hunted supple Kodihan in play,
And revel held in Fanhal's mighty name.
Now all things are made ready for your ride
For you must hie to Sencankarr this night."
Then Varfeil laughed, and lightly kissed her cheek:
"Good lady, thou art half what I desire--
More--but yet I may not rest my feet.
Not for me tonight the blazing fire
Or touch of ivory hand upon the lyre.
Tonight I ride for Sencan's ancient town
Where Fanhal sits upon the Holy Mount."
She smiled as he strode out from the hall,
Then silent, pondered long the silver orb
Which shone like Malfaloth upon the wall.
"And you much more than half, my lovely lord,
But love and sorrow will I keep in store
And hold them honored with that partial part
Fair Onmanda keeps of her husband's heart."
No comments:
Post a Comment