Thursday, September 3, 2020

XX. The Second Morning Ode

I have worn a Veil of Sorrow.
Morning has not brought me comfort.
Like winter has the shadow fallen,
Blighted what was green and holy,
Covered all the land in darkness,
Poisoned all the ancient waters.

Refrain: My heart is full, I cannot enter.
The day has risen; I am weeping.

The Sea is tainted, evil monsters
Now are haunting deepest trenches.
No more the happy ships go sailing
From the Hills with laden treasure—
Deep are delved the Mines of Torment,
Dark the shadow on the Forest.

When will light rise up from darkness?
When will the dying Sea be cleanséd?
Nankeinela, First, unfounded,
Sets his foot upon the hilltops.
Where he steps, the waters spring forth—
Waters cold from deep abysses.

When will sorrows cease to hound us?
Who will wash the blood of kin-folk
Slain upon the Hill of Sorrows,
Hill of Maidens and Rejoicing?
Come, my hands are red and bloody.
Come and lift my Veil of Sorrows.

The sun is rising with the morning—
Red, the skies proclaim his coming.
Drifts the Dawn, that painted harlot,
Away and cheats her many lovers
Who to toil the Sun is sending.
The day has risen; I am weeping.

My heart is full, I cannot enter.
So many others there are dwelling,
Selling land for paltry baubles,
Loud with chatter, sick with envy.
My heart is full, I cannot enter.
Who will drive away these suitors?

My inheritance was Water—
Water flowing from the Hilltop
Holy and revered by nations.
Many suitors muddy waters,
Trample through the sacred streams.
Who will drive away these suitors?

My inheritance was Starlight—
Starlight flowing from the Heavens,
From the West its treasures bore me.
All those treasures I have squandered.
Hornéd things into the mire
Ground my little treasures, broke them.

My inheritance was Starlight,
My inheritance was Water.
Who will come and claim my treasures?
They are scattered on the Seafoam.
Nankeinela, First, Unfounded,
Sets his foot upon the Hilltop.

No comments:

Post a Comment