Thursday, September 3, 2020

XXIX. Thoranrai’s Hymn of Love for Fanhal

“Bright and glorious is my Beloved,
Like a champion armed for battle,
And I will pour out praised for him,
Like a flowing, rushing river
My pen will flow with words of wisdom.

“(Love is wisdom—I have learned this,
I who kept my silent vigil
Here beside the Sacred Waters
While I suffered long in silence,
Weeping for those men beloved.
Loving sorrow taught me wisdom.)

“In beauty like the kings of Feihoth—
Lost and Heaven-sundered Feihoth—
My Beloved girds his sword on,
And his sheath ablaze with diamonds
Rivals all the stars of Heaven.

“He bends his bow and bends the Heavens.
The Hated foeman quakes to see him
When the Champion, my Beloved,
Rains his arrows down like raindrops,
Sets to flight the folk of Orkon.

“I anoint him with the oil—
Oil of gladness and of kingship.
I will set him here beside me,
On the Throne of Old Nanalon.
Throne of sorrows, throne of heroes,
Here our name endures forever
On the holy hill where Sencan
Set his seat amid the Nations.”

The Queen is robed in whitest samite.
Her mantle woven by the silkworm,
Diamond-studded, like the Heavens.
The far-flung peoples of the nations
Bring her gifts and praise her beauty.

The King they honor, who beside her
Holds the sword of mighty Sencan
On his knees, and deals out justice
To the Seed of Lanenomen,
To the kin of Orusena.

They, within their high-walled garden,
Ringed about with mighty cypress,
Well established a mighty kingdom.
From their love, a mighty scion,
Son of kings and heir of heroes,
Came to stand upon the Mountain—
Mountain fortress built by Ranhor—
There he turned back Orkon’s malice.

No comments:

Post a Comment