Six verses.
To Yalyan the Spear-maiden.
You were doomed to love another’s—
You were destined for the sorrow
Of your deep and silent longing.
No companionship in warfare
Or at table now is left you
With the one your heart desires.
Now at Midnight I will hear you,
Hear the pain of Maiden silence
Which you bore within your bosom,
Wrapped in mail and locked in breastplate.
In your valor long you trusted,
In your spear you found your purpose.
But no spear will shine in darkness
At the Stone of final judgment
Where the soul awaits the answer
To the question it was living.
Only prayer and shining justice—
These will not remit your sorrow.
I have known it—known your sorrow.
I will share it—share your weeping.
I will follow—follow Yalyan—
To the vale—the vale of weeping.
I will carry—carry burdens—
I will bear them to the Sea.
Long my heart loved things forbidden—
Loved what Heaven’s matchless wisdom
Gave to others, glory seeking.
Then I wreathed my head in garland,
Sought the praise of men at table,
Vain the conquests, loveless passions.
Now a ring of deadly foemen
Round my heart is set in leaguer.
Yalyan, maiden, I have carried
All your sorrow. Come to aid me!
Do not leave my soul in darkness!
Lead me, Maiden, to the Sea!
No comments:
Post a Comment