Friday, March 5, 2021

Verses for the prayers of Hasanyah the Queen to be sung at the Midnight Song: V. For the Fast of Malfaloth

Six verses.

Malfaloth the Silver Hunter
Wandered long through Lower Heaven
Seeking quarry, while the seasons
Sped away, and Vishnarr seeking
Climbed the star to Lower Heaven
Which the lord of lizards showed him.

Long my heart has been a-wandering,
Seeking new loves, growing older
In the wisdom taught in cities
(Counting-houses, hidden temples
To the greed which grows in mankind).
I have ceased to keep my vigil.

Vishnarr came there with the serpent—
With the cold-skinned Salamander—
Vishnarr came there, empire seeking,
Stole the scepter, Mankind ruled.
Then a darkness fell on waters,
Fell on Lanenomen’s cities.

Let my heart learn, keep its vigil
Lest a coldness grow within me,
Lest I wander while the passions
Steal the scepter, rule my nature.
Then a darkness overcomes me,
I am lost, my reason falters.

Malfaloth, the Silver Hunter,
From his wanderings at springtime
Then returned, unto Onmanda,
Unto her who first was mother
Of the world of grass and tree-roots,
He returned and found her weeping.

I will turn back to my weeping,
To the many tears my heart sheds
When in springtime, my heart thawing,
I remember my heart’s homeland.
Gone the scepter, gone the lordship,
Gone the tokens of my rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment